Just a few sites I use;
General Geology Resources
- United States Geological Survey; good basic learning resources especially for geohazards, real-time earthquake data, links to all American volcano observatories.
- British Geological Survey; Good data base of topographical maps, study and career info.
- The Geological Society.
Volcano Observatories, VAAC’s and Meteorological Offices
- Smithsonian Institution Global Volcanism Program; good volcano database and learning resources but not all eruption reports are up to date.
- Icelandic Met Office; brilliant data sets on all Icelandic volcanism and VAAC.
- Philvolcs; The Philippean institute of volcanology and seismology.
- JMA; Japan meterological agency, good updates on local volcanoes, seismicity and tsunami alerts.
Science News and Blogs
- Science Daily; good topical articles.
- Wired; good topical articles, Erik Klemetti does good geoscience pieces
- I F*cking Love Science; possibly one of my favourite general science sites.
- Earth of Fire; Really good blog by Bernard Duyck which I discovered on a facebook group.
- Volcanic Degassing
- Volcano Cafe
Education and expeditions
- The Open University; Even if you don’t want to take on a degree short courses are available in Earth and environmental studies.
- Volcanic and Magmatic Studies Group;
- European Geosciences Union; of which I am a member.
- The Earthwatch Institute; scientific research and volunteer work.